Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Vampire Diaries: Team Stefan or Team Damon?                           What side are you on?


Hey bloggers! Happy Groundhog Day! Or maybe not so happy with the way things turned out this morning :(

Anyways, Zoe over at Zoe's Book Reviews has started a debate over which brother from the CW television show "Vampire Diaries" is better. She has graciously let me argue on the behalf of Damon, and I decided I would also share it here on my site. If you haven't seen the show or read the books, you NEED to! The show is sooo good and the books aren't too bad either ;)

OK then! Here goes:

I hate to hop on the Damon bandwagon, but like the other Guest Posters I am Team Damon all the way. Not only is Damon way more mysterious, hunky, and all that good stuff that you immediately pick up on while watching the show, but I think Damon is also waaaay deeper than he appears. He may have some tricks up his sleeve (but come on, it only makes things more interesting!), but deep down I know he is a good guy. Yeah Stefan may be conflicted with his whole vamp situation and disgusted by what he must do to get food, but Damon I believe, is more conflicted with himself (as in, not what he’s become, but who he is). Yes, Damon is pretty secure with himself as a vampire and feels no remorse killing, but I also think (as evidenced by this past Thursday’s episode), that Damon does have a caring side. He really seems to want to help protect Elena, for the sake of her well-being and not for the sake of his own personal interests (at least some of the time).

In this way, I think Damon has the potential to change – a lot. Now, I’m not saying he’s going to become all “Saint Damon,” but I think he could become part of “the group.” But getting back to my argument, it’s simple: Stefan is boring, dorky, and pretty much a “solid” guy while Damon is charming, funny, and most of all, the brother with the most range (I guess is the right word?) What I mean is that Stefan as a character is kind of stuck. He’s kind of this straight arrow type and it’d have to be some sort of mega-disaster before Stefan “switched to the dark side.” Damon on the other hand, has a lot of room to develop. Combine that with what the other Team Damon guest posters have said (see Zoe's site for the guest posters pieces), and I think we’ve done a pretty good job of supporting our side of the argument!


Again, I encourage you to read the books whether you are a fan of the show or just interested in the whole vampire craze. The books are somewhat different than what has happened on the show, and it's fun to watch the show after having read the books and try to guess what the CW will use from the books and so on. Definitely see my reviews of the first part of "The Vampire Diaries" books which have appeared in earlier posts.

Since we have six more weeks of winter, might as well make the most of it... Grab a book, a blanket, maybe even some hot chocolate and settle into your favorite reading spot! Until next time... Happy reading!

*Sarah*

No comments:

Post a Comment